Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Explorations

So today was much better than yesterday. I acctually got to get out and explore the city a little bit.Gopal called around 1:45p saying that he was with Andrew (the other American with the program) and that Andrew wanted to meet me. Not gonna lie, it was such a relief to meet another American, and together we went and walked around for a little while. I got to meet his house mother Getta, and we had lunch at Gettas house. Lunch was an adventure. It was this pancake type deal wrapped around a greenish/yellowish chunky mashed potato substanance. The way to eat it is by tearing off pieces of the pancake and scooping up the potato stuff and then eating it. Letsjust say my food horizons have for sure widenened. It wasnt bad, it just looked very unappatizing. After lunch Andrew showed me where to put money on my prepaid India phone, and where the ATm was, and where to exchange money. We were going to go to Mahamad Ghandi Road (which is the Indian version of Rodeao *sp* Drive) but Mrs. Kutty was holding all my money so we were going to meet up with her first. When we met up with her she insisted on buying us dinner at decent resteraunt. I had a grilled chicken sandwich (possibly the first american meal since my departure 5 days ago) and a cake called "death by chocolate".....Wemyss let me just say you were on my mind the entire time I ate the delecatble desert. It was a chocolate mousse cake covered in dark chocolate flakes with chocolate sprinkles. The name def. suited the cake. We ate at Mrs. Kuttys house, and I absolutly adore Mrs. Kutty. She is well traveled and quite spunky. Her husband was a quiet but nice man. And her mother in law is from Denmark with the most remarkable blue eyes...she too was hilarious. We ended up spending the entire evening just chatting with Mrs. Kuttyand her family. After dinner her daughter (who is very high up in the fashion world, and just opened the Ferdigio (sp) *a very expensive Italian shoe brand* store in Bangalore) came over for a bit. She was talking to Andrew and I, and was mentioning that we should try modeling--apparently a lot of India companies are looking for white models (for resort brochures, etc.) and that we would get paid about $120 a day. She was going to set it up for us, so we'll see how that goes....if it does work out it would be another eclectic thing to add to my resume from my trip to India. Tomorow school starts & Im thrilled. Apparently my Indian dance class is going to be amazing...Im not allowed to wear western clothes so my instructure will take me shopping for a wardrobe in Indian clothing to wear to class everyday. How cool!?!?! I get to work out all the details of where I will be doing my service work and what days and so forth tmrw as well! Which Im also stoked about! Among other things, we have an extended weekend this weekend so I think Andrew and I are going to try and travel to Goa (which are beaches that are supposed to look like Hawaii) and Mrs. Kuttys daughter said that this weekend it will be a very 'happening' place and a good time to meet a lot of people. Sounds fun! Anyways we finally left Mrs. Kuttys and Andrew walked me back to the hostel. Once in the hostel 5 of the girls were in teh common area cooking dinner. One of them was from Japan and was SO thrilled to meet me. She was so fascinated by me and was so proud to say she had an american friend. I showed her a book of KY that I brought with me, and she was so cute....there was a picture of some waterfall from KY and she was like "Niagra Falls?" It was really cute. She kept saying "I want to go to America" The girls let me try some of their dinner which was really good...some sort of green vegetable thing cooked in spices. I think it might have been ocra? Cant be sure though. And here I sit typing this thinking of all the amazing experiences Im about to have-at war with myself because my body is so tired, but my mind so alive with the possibilities of oppourtunities for the next 4 months of my life. I certainly am missing everyone back home, and have already made a list of things I will not take for granted about the US, but I know that India holds so many exciting things for me! I love you all, and am thinking about you! with love, rebecca ann

No comments:

Post a Comment