Saturday, January 17, 2009

Arrival in India

Well Im in Bangalore India, and let me just say that Im glad that I'll be here for 4 months because I wouldnt want to re-do that trip anytime soon. A 14 hr plane ride is as bad as it sounds....not that my trip was all bad--I made 6 friends throughout the trip and have found all the Indians to be extremly outgoing, friendly, and helpful. On the 14 hr flight I sat between a guy and a girl and both were giving me tips for my stay. I had my first airplane meal (which was Indian) and it was interesting to say the least....it was some sort of chicken stuff with rice, and this gel desert. The desert was nothing like jello; it was a tougher consistancy and tasted like perfume. The after-mints provided was just as interesting....it was a bunch of seeds, and sprinkles that you are supposed throw in your mouth and chew until you feel your breath is good, and then swallow. Feeling adventurous after having tried the entire dinner, and being naieve and thinking 'how bad can after mints be?' I threw back an entire handful--it tasted as though I had just thrown an entire handful of potpuri in my mouth and was now chewing it. Needless to say breakfast on the plane was just as interesting with green eggs, non-flavored yogurt, and once again after-mints. Once in India I had a 9 (which turned into a 13 due to a flight cancelation) hour layover. There I met a very friendly Guatamalen lady who lived in Tampa, but was visiting India for a religious following. We talked about our religions among other things and we stayed together and took turns sleeping and watching over each others bags. Finally my last plane left and I arrived in Bangalore. Gupa and Chandru came to the airport to pick me up and had a sign with my name on it waiting outside the airport. The 45 minute drive from the airport to the hostel is one thing I will never forget.....I have never seen such beautiful organized chaos. There were lanes on the road but NO ONE drives in them...it was crazy! Even when there were no cars around Chandru would just drive right down the middle of the road. Pedestrians do not have the right away, bicyclists do not have the right of way and I know this because we almost hit like 5 on our way. And the car horn is for anyone and anything in your way and not going as fast as you would like. At every stoplight all horns would start blaring as soon as the light turned green. Cars drove so close that if I had opened my window I could have easily put my arms into the cars besides us. As we drove along there were parts of the trip that I was certain that I was in Jamica(the tropical feel, the palm trees, how such devestation existed next to mansions), then there were parts that I was certain I was in Haiti (I saw barefoot kids playing in trash heaps next to dogs), and even some parts that I thought I might be in Panama (the hotels look like the ones in Panama), but the traffic alone reminded me that I was in India. So as it turns out I am not staying in a homestay. Apparently since the Mumbai attacks very few Indians want to host westerners for fear that they will be singled out in an attack. So instead I will be at a girls hostel for the duration of my stay. Mrs Kutty (the vp of the program) lives right down the street, and assures me that the hostel is the safest place for me because it has 24 hr security guards. Its pretty nice here, just like a dorm. There is a kitchen-common area on all the floors, and I get a room to myself. The internet only works in the hallway, which Im staying optimistic about because it will be my way of making friends. So far I have slept the entire time that I've been here. Gupa has been in and out, bringing me grocries and toilet paper, and sheets, and such, which was provided by the program. (Thank goodness its a 'westernized' toilet, but it still only has the 'sprayer' instead of toilet paper so Gupa brought me toilet paper) The bathroom is very interesting---the shower has no curtain and is maybe 5 inches from the toilet, so I think when I take a shower I will be soaking the toilet as well. I'll take pictures and be sure to post them, because its hard to describe. The cleaning girl doesnt know english but seems very sweet. She has brought me all of my meals but as I have been sleeping on and off I havn't eaten much. Tommorow Gupa comes at 1:30 to bring me lunch and then take me to Mrs. Kuttys house to meet Dr.Rao, and some others I think. Then we will be going to the bank to exchange some of my money. Anyways I think thats about it for now! Its aprox. 4:45 am and I should probablly head back to bed to get some rest before I have another overwhelming day! I love and miss you all!
love, becca

2 comments:

  1. Well B$ I'm glad that you made it safely to India, now I just can't wait to see you again : )

    ReplyDelete