Wednesday, February 25, 2009

more than meets the eye: the deeper stories

Just a few days ago I sat with one of the nuns, sister magada, talking in hushed tones as she shold me the stories of some of the girls at the orphanage--most of the girls acctually have parents, but the majority have drunken and abusive fathers, and hard-working tripple-jobed calloused mothers. She pointed to Glory--an amibitious 10th grade, amazingly brilliant, sweet, joyful, talented young girl. Glory is so motivated that I have not doubt that she will do amazing things within her life. She wants to graduate college, become an army officer, and see America. She is a singer, an artist, and just an overall joy to be around. Sister Magada was telling me that Glory's father physically/verbally abuses Glory, her mother, and her sisters. I have never heard Glory so much as utter one single complaint within my whole time knowing her. I have only seen her love for others. It blows me away to think about how self centered I can be about my seemingly pointless problems and concerns.
Next the nun pointed out a little 2nd grader named Mary giggling with some of the other girls. She then proceeds to tell me Mary's story. She tgells me Mary's father died when she was very young and her mother fell sick last Christmas....Mary's mom passed away during the Christmas vacation with Mary in the house. This was not discovered until 2 days after her mothers death; in other words, a 6yr old girl lived in the house with the corpse of her mother for 2 days fending for herself before being taken into custody of the orphanage. She has not relatives to speak of, and is currently being sponsored to attend St. Mary's. I found myself wondering how life even goes on after something like that. How a 6 year old recovers from the knowledge that there is no one in this world to stand up and claim her as their own. It made me wonder whether she knew whether her mother was dead; whether she dreaded being seperated from the only family she knew, whether she thought her mother was just sleeping, or if she was fully aware just bidding her time wondering if she were next, or if even perhaps it were denial that kept her from seeking help.
The nun then explained that all of these girls who do have family livein the slums. I asked if I could go into the slums (which is a huge risk being a white woman) and has thus far been off-limits for me (I've asked my teachers, indian friends, etc. and no one has recommeneded it, or said they would take me.) But the sister said that next week we would pray and then go and visit some of the girls homes to open up my eyes. So I'll def. let you know when it's happening so you can pray for my safey as well for my heart--I know it will be shattered into a thousand pieces for these people.
Anyways these are are just two of 100 stories; two of 100 broken hearts fighting to hold the hand of the only one who could not even fathom their pain. It made me wonder...does my unbrokeness attract these girls? Is it refreshing to have someone untainted by the atrocities of a mean world around? Im starting to think that its not just my white skin and blonde hair that attracts these girls...its gotta be something much deeper than that. It remindes me of 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort that we ourselves have recieved from God." Did God bless me beyond belief with an AMAZING family who suuports and loves me no matter what, and an amazing circle of friends that provide an amazing support system and safety net to catch me when I fall so that I could bless these girls with just my presence? This is the only way I can look at my life and justify the immense blessings that I have recieved from God.
All I can say that if this trip hasn't changed any lives or even remotely touched any lives it still has been worth every penny, every second; transforming me and my perspectives. Molding me into a young woman aware of a world so much larger than myself and everything I've always known. Opening my eyes, broadening my horizons, and changing my heart forever.
with love for all of you,
Rebecca Ann

Glory and I, apparently I was distracted here

Mary is the one in the mickey mouse shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment