Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Short on Indian Hospitality

from left to right: andrew, uncle, Arthis brother, me, Arthi, Ashu, Arun, Aunti
me holding Arun

So we went and stayed with Lalit’s family-Ashu (his brother), Arthi (Ashu’s wife), Arun (their 1 yr old son), and Ashu/Lalit’s parents Auntie and Uncle. We stayed with these, well basically strangers, for an entire week. First of all let me just say that Indians have amazing family values. Children usually live with their parents even after they’re married, and there is no social security system in India, because there is no need for one. Parents raise children, and in return those children take in their parents after retirement. So staying with a closely-bonded family was very interesting and kinda awesome to see. Staying with an Indian family was an invaluable experience; and def. completed my experience here in India. Since I didn’t get the chance to stay with a family (like I had originally thought) I was super excited about staying with one finally.
Firstly it amazed me that this family that had never met us before was gracious enough to host us for an entire week. More than that, they were more than willing to pay for all our meals, and even treat us to anything else that we could’ve asked or wanted.
My blanket statement here is that Indian hospitality is incomparable! If Andrew and I didn’t eat at least 3 helpings of any meal it was automatically assumed that we didn’t care for the food—needless to say there were many nights I went to bed with a stomach so full it could’ve burst. And then when they thought that we didn’t like the food they would automatically ask if they could order us a second dinner of pizza! It truly amazed me that Andrew and I were not only warmly accepted by this family, but revered! They went out of their way to provide us with a comfortable stay—providing toilet paper, American food, etc. etc. At one point we went to the mall and they offered to buy me clothes!
While the experience was amazing, and I LOVED the family I have to say I'm glad that I am staying in a hostel. But I only say this because I am so independent and would hate to have people fret over me all the time. I also felt like we were a burden (not because the family made us feel this way) but because of how much trouble they went to, to make sure that we were comfortable. They treated us as family and I'm sure that if I lived with a family in Bangalore it would be much of a similar experience; one where it would feel like living with my parents (love you guys, but can’t stand a curfew!)
I am extremely grateful for everything they did for us, and they for sure were my favorite part of Spring Break in Delhi. Def. made me ache for my family back home (it’s funny that the only few times that I've been homesick it’s because I'm around a family.)
Anyways just wanted to let you know mom and dad, that I love and miss you very much! Can’t wait to see you at the airport in a few months, give you great big hugs (probably crying) and be fussed over by people who I won’t feel like I'm being a burden on!
Mom-love you to the moon and back!
Dad-love you more than puppies and sunshine!
Love, Rebecca Ann

ps. since I havn't mentioned before: remember how my hair turned pink from Holi? I was forced to dye it dark brown--just an unrelated update

No comments:

Post a Comment