Monday, April 20, 2009

thoughts on the parallels of rain and hardtimes

Yesterday was the first downpour that I’ve experienced in over 3 months. Let me first of all just say it was beautiful, refreshing, and cleansing. The dirt that is constantly in the air finally settled down and taking in a lung-full of pure oxygen is something I don’t think I have done since I have been here. I walked along in the rain not caring about the mud caking my shoes, or the fact that the rain was seeping through my clothes, or that my hair was drenched and clinging to my face. No, all I could do was think about how amazing God’s creation is. Isn’t it cool to worship a God so genius as to think to have pure, cooling water fall from the sky? A God so creative to allow humans to hear the patter of the rain against the ground, experience the faint smell of freshness and the sight…don’t get me started on the sight of rain. It’s like some orchestrated dance of water. Every rain drop falling divinely in place where God has ordained it. I'm glad that man cannot recreate any of these sensations. Creation is something that is purely of God and given to us as a gift to appreciate. I forgot how much I love the rain until yesterday. I was too busy soaking up the sun and the heat and forgot how incredible and necessary the rain is for life. I was given a whole new appreciation for rain yesterday. It reminded me of the good and bad of life. We all too often get caught up in the good of life, basking in the sun of blessings, but forget that the rain is necessary for growth and renewal. We hate getting caught in the rain, but how different would our life be if we appreciated the hard times just as much (if not more) than the easy times. If we realized how good they are for our growth and spirituality? As I look back on my life I can honestly say that the times that I have grown the most spiritually are the times that have been the hardest. The times that have made my heart break, or made me angry or frustrated have also made me a much stronger person. As much as they were tough, I have to say I would go through them again to grow closer to God, and mature as a young woman. I hate that I'm saying this because right now I'm basking in the sun of blessings, and know that this is me admitting to God that He can take me through some more tough times to grow me (which I don’t look forward to.)
Hard times are like a breath of fresh air….God uses them to clear the air of all the dust of comfort that has settled in our lives so we can once again take a lung-full of fresh air and be revitalized. So as I sit here waiting for the monsoon season of India, and that of my own life I pray that in hard times and rain that I may cling to God and grow spiritually. I also pray that if you’re going through a hard time that you may realize that as much as it hurts, or is not fun, it is in the end, going to make you a better person if you allow it to.
Romans 8:18 & 8:28
“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us”
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
And for those of you currently going through hard times:
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”
Psalms 34:18
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit”

I love and miss you all like crazy! Less than a month until I come home!

with love, rebecca ann

No comments:

Post a Comment